Episodes 7581-7585 (Block 1517)

Re: Episodes 7581-7585 (Block 1517)

Postby Shamrock » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:37 pm

The comedy element is one of those things. It's there, and it's entertaining. A lot of it, like pre-2007 revamp, is witty and dialogue based and it's great. It's definitely taken a backseat for the last month or so but at the same time, we've been watching the climax and aftermath to one of the show's biggest and darkest plots in years - I don't want to cut away to a comedy plot with all that going on.

Now that we're a few weeks on, I like that the comedy is coming back but I will never agree with those that argued that London week and the week after needed more comedy. I wanted to wallow in every bit of that misery because it was brilliant and the story earned it.

You're right, Callum, the character interaction has improved dramatically. It feels like an integrated community again and as a result, all the friendships etc. are improving.
Shamrock
Site Admin

Postby EdwardSkylover » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:08 am

Agreed these things ebb and flow re drama and comedy. What's most important is things feel natural. If things are naturally taking a darker path it's fine to go there, the comedy can come later. What I really like about the show at the moment is it's all about the characters. There are still huge OTT plots but those big moments have been driven first and foremost by the characters involved and who they are, and that's what the show should be like. That's how you make soaps work - getting the huge moments to come from the characters.

I actually feel like this is why Mark and Steph were put together. The writers probably planned over a year ago for this whole surrogacy/Dee story and the way Mark and Steph were involved was genius. All the characters were slotted into this huge mess.

They've become very very clever at using past characters. They brought Angie back for a few scenes so they're using the budget effectively, but she fulfilled the function she needed to down to a T. They're really nailing certain things like this. The show also has a cast brilliant actors at the moment - even my sister who has only got back into Neighbours recently (after I made her due to the Dee story) said she's surprised how good the acting is these days.
EdwardSkylover

Postby project90 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:11 am

My only complaint is did not explore the fake Dee aftermath more.Toadie basically lost Dee all over again along with a daughter he was bonding with and fake Dee just got away with it paid no consequences at all yes Toadie let it go for willow sake but unlike super cop Mark to let something like this go especially if he thought led to Kaitlyn death he'd want revenge
project90

Postby SamH » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:48 am

Also there was the mention of Willow maybe coming back to live with Toadie, why put that line in unless something is due to happen later on? So hopeful we will see Willow again. It would be a bit like when Angus ended up with Karl and Susan - against all odds if its in the kid's best interests then it can be worked out with good people like them or Toadie. I guess he needs to move back in with Sonya or find his own place first though.

I would like to see some more comedy now, Neighbours does it so well and I have missed it. There's potential with Gary/Terese/Sheila and David/Aaron I think. And obviously Karl is a bottomless pit of comedy - there was the brief line today from Susan when he told Shane about his music 'prowess' but it wasn't enough. I prefer the on-going joke about him being tight and there was another good moment a few days ago when he genuinely got worked up and tried to rationalise being tight as managing money sensibly and being a positive thing. I forget the exact line but it made me giggle. :mrgreen:
SamH

Postby EdwardSkylover » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:48 am

project90 wrote:My only complaint is did not explore the fake Dee aftermath more.Toadie basically lost Dee all over again along with a daughter he was bonding with and fake Dee just got away with it paid no consequences at all yes Toadie let it go for willow sake but unlike super cop Mark to let something like this go especially if he thought led to Kaitlyn death he'd want revenge

I feel the same, they have brushed fake Dee under the carpet. I also feel like there should be more made of the fact that this baby wasn't Sonya's, it was meant to be Mark and Steph's, someone needs to tell her that it wasn't her baby.
EdwardSkylover

Postby Indiekid1509 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:33 pm

I got the feeling that Sonya was going to confess she'd been drinking at the AA meeting until Terese turned up. It's nice to see her and Toadie being civil again.
Indiekid1509

Postby rockfenris2005 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:06 pm

I agree most emphatically with project90 about Toadie/Andrea, not exploring the aftermath enough. Not enough focus on Toadie either. The other day I thought, if someone started watching, they could have thought Toadie had an affair with his receptionist, not his wife he thought actually came back from the grave. They left that up in the air, hopefully because they're going to look at it again. There's a bit of a pattern here, with a lot of guest characters doing two stints (most recently with Brooke), so give or take a couple months and we'll get back to Andrea, and maybe even some answers about Dee herself finally. That was something I REALLY wanted from the storyline, and never got.
rockfenris2005

Postby RamsayStreet » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:45 pm

New flooring at Number 28. Looking back it looks like it's been there a week or so.
"The reason why Neighbours has flourished for so long is that at the heart of it there are people who care for one another." J Woodburne

Neighbours, squashed tomatoes and potatoes, with Harold in the kitchen, you can find the Perfect Blend
RamsayStreet

Postby Joanne » Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:14 am

rockfenris2005 wrote:I agree most emphatically with project90 about Toadie/Andrea, not exploring the aftermath enough. Not enough focus on Toadie either. The other day I thought, if someone started watching, they could have thought Toadie had an affair with his receptionist, not his wife he thought actually came back from the grave. They left that up in the air, hopefully because they're going to look at it again. There's a bit of a pattern here, with a lot of guest characters doing two stints (most recently with Brooke), so give or take a couple months and we'll get back to Andrea, and maybe even some answers about Dee herself finally. That was something I REALLY wanted from the storyline, and never got.

I'd love Dee answers but right now, I feel like the Andrea loose ends need tying up a bit more.

But yes, I'm really hoping we get that tied up. I could even take Willow being how it's tied up if for whatever reason they can't get Madeleine back for a bit.
Joanne

Postby Aliman1 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:20 am

Joanne wrote:
rockfenris2005 wrote:I agree most emphatically with project90 about Toadie/Andrea, not exploring the aftermath enough. Not enough focus on Toadie either. The other day I thought, if someone started watching, they could have thought Toadie had an affair with his receptionist, not his wife he thought actually came back from the grave. They left that up in the air, hopefully because they're going to look at it again. There's a bit of a pattern here, with a lot of guest characters doing two stints (most recently with Brooke), so give or take a couple months and we'll get back to Andrea, and maybe even some answers about Dee herself finally. That was something I REALLY wanted from the storyline, and never got.

I'd love Dee answers but right now, I feel like the Andrea loose ends need tying up a bit more.

But yes, I'm really hoping we get that tied up. I could even take Willow being how it's tied up if for whatever reason they can't get Madeleine back for a bit.

I think they will have to come back to the Dee/Andrea & Willow storyline at some point. I think eventually Toadie will want answers and his money back so will probably try and track them down, or maybe Willow will get in touch because of the guilt she feels about everything. At the moment though, Toadies focus has to be on Sonya and his marriage.
Aliman1

PreviousNext

Return to Neighbours Talk